Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

I have a one of a kind dad. Growing up, my sister and I could usually work him to our advantage. My dad suffered with Epilepsy after a work accident, when a machine fell on his head. I watched my mom take care of him and it was very scary for us when he would have a seizure. Eventually he stopped having the seizures with the help of the right doctors and treatments and of course, God. It was a miracle that he survived the accident. And when he was able, he went back to that same job and worked until retirement. I admire him for always being our provider with the help of my mom, who also worked at the same place.
My dad has a strong faith in God, and I can always remember Sunday mornings at our house. He would blow the bugle (sound made with his mouth) and tell us to get up and get ready for church. We dreaded hearing that sound cause we wanted to sleep.
My dad has never met a stranger. He is very giving. He is one of the best joke tellers. He loves his Birthday. He likes to tell people about a month before his birthday that it will be his birthday. I can always keep track of his age by my grandson Noah's age. Noah is 9 and my dad is 79. I have so many good memories of my dad as a father. I have lots of regrets though, like the time I popped out some of his buffalo nickel collection that were in the bottom drawer safely tucked away. I went to the candy store down the street and spent them. You would have thought the clerk would have been a little suspicious when I paid with ALL buffalo nickels....
I guess I will always be daddy's little girl, or sometimes called "Baby doll". I am thankful to say I still have my dad with me and can celebrate today with him. I feel sad for all of my friends who can't say that this morning, and I am thinking of all of you.
We will be spending today with some very special people. My daughter's in-laws invited all the families for lunch. We will have lots of generations and I hope to take lots of pictures to share.
So, to my dad, and all the other great dad's, I wish a very Happy Father's Day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's been like a Father to me too! LOL . . . thanks for making me tear up and laugh @ the same time! Your Big Sis, a/k/a Dinder!

Sharon - Mom Generations said...

What a beautiful, meaningful and loving tribute to your Dad. I am so happy you have him still in your life. My Dad has been gone for almost 35 years and not one day goes by when I don't miss him. He called me Sis. You give your Dad a great big kiss for me, please!! Have a wonderful, wonderful day! xo!

Bacardi Mama said...

Such a lovely tribute. Like Sharon said, you are so lucky to still have your dad with you. My dad has been gone for almost 33 years now and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him. Hope your day with your dad is wonderful.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

This is a sweet post, Mom. It was a great day.

Steph

Anonymous said...

Rhonda, Great post about your dad. You are very lucky and blessed to have him. He is lucky to have such a wonderful family.
My dad has been gone over 40 years now and I miss him everyday.
Have fun on your vacation.
-Mary Ann