Thursday, July 26, 2012

350.2 miles away from home

I think it's finally sinking in that part of my family is moving 350.2 miles, 5 hours and 53 minutes away from me.  Steph, Jeff, Noah, Carter, Gray & Ivy are moving to Canton, Ohio.  Jeff has already started his new job there, while Steph is packing and getting their house ready to sell. 
It all came as a big surprise several weeks ago when Jeff got a call to come and interview for a job with another Newspaper "The Canton Repository".  He and Steph drove to Canton, where Jeff would later get a call on their way back home that he got the job, which came with a nice pay increase.  I know that they were waiting for a new adventure in their lives and this was too good to pass up.  And I am so proud for them.  My first feelings when I heard they were moving was "Bittersweet"....As a parent, we all want our children to do well and be happy.  If they are happy and want to follow this yellow brick road to Canton, then I will try my hardest to support them and be there for them every step of the way. 
I have watched my parents say good-bye to a daughter and a son who moved half way across the United States and I know how hard it was on them as well as myself, not having my sister and brother around.  My mom told me that I will experience what it's like.  I'm so very thankful that it's close enough that I can go visit on a long weekend.  The grand-kids have already asked me if I'm coming for Thanksgiving....And I know where I'm spending my vacation time next year. 
Several people have asked me if I am sad and how I will cope with losing my daughter, son-in-law and grandkids.  I tell them, I'm not losing them.  It's not a death.  It's a new beginning.  It's a change for everyone.  I want to look at it as a positive thing, not a negative thing.  Sure, I will miss them knowing I can't drive 20 minutes and see them, but there is Skype.  I can see their faces and smiles any time I want.  We will always have a connection. 
I'm sure when I see the U-Haul pull away from their house, the tears will flow and the heart will be heavy, but I know that God will be with them and will guide and protect them and we will all be together again before we know it. 
I have always told Steph growing up to follow your dream...Her dream might just be in Canton Ohio......

2 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Thanks, Mom. I know it's all going to work out, it's just hard to see right now!

Steph

Bacardi Mama said...

It really is going to all work out. Skype will be such a huge help with the move. Being able to see them when you hear their voices will make a big difference. I have always told my girls to follow their dreams too. So far, I haven't had to deal with a move like this. Some day though, this could be me. I am here for you, my friend. xoxo