Monday, September 17, 2007

"My Quest for New Cookware"

So, I am lying in bed a few weeks ago flipping channels on t.v. and a set of stainless steel cookware catches my eye....at HSN, so I pause to start watching these amazing dishes the Cook is preparing and clean-up was effortless with "1" piece of papertowel. Well, I knew I needed a new set but wasn't reeled in by the Great Deal...
So, I am sitting in the lazy boy chair later that evening flipping channels on t.v. and a set of stainless steel cookware catches my eye...at HSN, same set, same effortless clean-up...but this time a new Bait was thrown out and I fell for it...."you can pay in 4 installments".....I almost broke my toe running to my purse to get out my credit card to call and order....I wanted to hurry before I changed my mind....
So, One week later, I am sitting at my desk at work and this huge box arrives UPS...MY NEW COOKWARE.....I unloaded all the zillion pieces when I got home from work (it came with utencils and a pepper mill) that I forgot to mention....I read the instructions and did as instructed to wash and dry and put away....
So, next day, I made my husband breakfast in my new stainless steel frying pan, making sure I read the instructions again on how to use. Well, lets just say, the eggs stuck to the pan and after using half the roll of papertowel to start cleaning it, I gave in to the sink full of suds to scrub clean...then there was this wierd looking film that appeared in the pan. Also, the edges around the pan was very sharp, almost cut my finger....I was trying to convince myself that I liked the set after using several other pieces within the weeks to come....
So, Today, Box of pots and pans are waiting on UPS to pick them up....30 day return policy and I am on 28 days. I feel good about the decision I made to return them. I did keep some of my old pieces to use until I find that perfect set for me......
So, can anyone out there recommend a set of pots and pans? I learned my lesson from ordering from t.v. I am stuck with paying the shipping and handling, but that's my fault. I thought about the Rachael Ray cookware...it would match my fat chef kitchen....What do you think?
p.s. I would like to mention, I don't usually order anything from t.v.

10 comments:

Carolyn Vaughn said...

I'm not familiar with Rachel Ray Cookware but I like Circulon myself. Before you order from tv check Amazon for the products - you might get a better price or buy pans individually instead of a whole set. I prefer to that.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I think you should go for the Rachel Ray set since that's what you want. I have plenty of the Bed,Bath,& Beyond coupons if you need them to buy it! And you can have your Pampered Chef cookware back if you'd like! I thought you'd already tried out the new set before you gave them to me!

Steph

Glass Half Full said...

When you get it you'll have to let me know how you like them.

Lori

Lisa said...

I almost ordered that exact same set of cookware, but my husband stopped me in the nick of time. He assured me the cookware wouldn't make my cooking taste like The Chef's! I too, would've fallen for the one paper towel clean up! I'm a sucker when they are screaming at me from the TV! I do have the Cook's Essentials from QVC, and I really like it...it cooks evenly and they come out of the dishwasher looking great! I also have a few Le Creuset pieces, but not because I'm a professional type cook...I just like the pretty colors! :)

Crooked Eyebrow said...

My husband is a huge fan of Tuesday Morning... we don't buy sets, we by individual pans we like. We hit the jackpot at Tuesday morning a few weeks ago. We got the "everyday" calpalon pans. I love them. The weight is good on them, the handle is sturdy and I haven't had anything stick yet!


kinda like these:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=99003&CategoryID=31065&LinkType=EverGreen

Another thing is to read reviews. Cook's Illustrated has great reviews for cookware!

What can I say, our house likes to eat and cook!

Crooked Eyebrow said...

the link didn't work, let me try again...
these

chrissy said...

I buy my mom Calphalon usually from Kohl's she seems to like them. You want to look for a "Lifetime" warantee, not a one year, and preferably non-stick pans that say they can hold up to metal untensils, when someone accidentally uses them on it!! Remember, hang on to your receipt, under the silverware drawer is a good place, and register your cookware on-line (if they offer it) and call them if you have any issues make the company stand to their word!!

Amy Plumb said...

Girl, you need to stop watching t.v. so late and have some control when you do. Target! You can never go wrong there cheap and your egg taste the same.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Pampered Chef Executive cookware. I will give you my personal guarantee that you will LOVE them and you WILL be able to clean them with a paper towel. I even was able to do that with my Thanksgiving Turkey roasting pan after it sat for a couple hours on top of the stove. They have a "try it" piece for just $38 but you can get a 12 piece set for half price if you host a show. That's how I got mine. I LOVE THEM, my husband also loves them and he does a lot of cooking, too. And go for the Executive. It's a little bit more than the professional, but it's worth it. And the guarantee is great, too.
Path to Health

Chelf said...

My SIL loves her Calphalon. I have the same issue, I want better, but don't want to pay for it. I have never had a good experience from TV purchases.

I sincerely desire the Rachael Ray big huge oval deep fry pan... I haven't found one yet.

Orange (Rachael's fave color) would look good in my Chile Pepper kitchen, right?