Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Happy Father's Day to my one and only

Celebrating Father's Day has changed for me the past 2 years, since I don't have my dad anymore.  But, it should still be a celebration, in my book.  I don't give my hubby, Mike enough praise this one day out of a year.  He doesn't like to be recognized or noticed, but he deserves to be.  He is a Great Father.  I love watching his relationship with our older children and the grand kids now.  He has a better relationship with our son, Nate, now than when he was growing up.  They have so much in common.  Nate is always calling his dad for advice and even followed in his dad's footsteps with his love of airplane modeling.  They are like two peas in a pod.  And I think that Steph will always be daddy's little girl.  It was such a special year for Mike and Steph, being able to drive cross country together and share in the move to Oregon.  How awesome for a dad to be able to help his daughter and grand kids in this way, even with a newly operated detached retina, without complaining.  These are memories that you can't buy.  Steph played her dad's favorite songs and his favorite groups on the trip and even endured his non tuned singing...I guess she got used to his voice, since he used to rock her to sleep when she was a baby, by singing "Turra lura lura" an Irish lullaby.  He had a singing voice only a daughter could love. 
Mike is also an awesome Grandfather.  I love watching Abby hanging all over him and wanting his full attention.  He taught Jack a song the other day that made him proud....the song from Big Bang Theory, "Soft Kitty"....Each grandchild holds a special place in his heart.  And now on to the dogs.  Mike is a good daddy to Halle & Lilly.  They are his "girls".  I am so glad he finally has lap dogs.  I am also glad that he discovered that these sisters needed to be rescued a few years ago.  They have brought a lot of joy to our empty nest.  So, on this Father's Day, my wish for Mike is to do what makes him happy.  Let me guess....a Sunday newspaper, dogs on his lap while relaxing in the lazy boy chair...and some good ole' Adam 12 and Dragnet episodes playing on the t.v....and must I forget, the heater on by his feet (even if it's 90 degrees outside).  That's Mike...a wonderful Father!