Friday, March 9, 2012

Aunt Nina, A flawless Rose



These are special crocheted roses made with Love by my Special Aunt Nina. They are pins to wear. I love receiving hand made things from her. I cherish these so much. When I think of my Aunt Nina, I think of a rose. She is perfect in my eyes. I have watched her blossom and grow as I grew up, and I am in awe of what she endured and seeing the strength she had, makes me admire her that much more. Growing up, we would spend our vacations in West Virginia visiting Grand-parents, Aunts, Uncles & Cousins on both sides of my family. My moms mom, Grandma Riddle was helping out my Aunt Nina in raising her 2 children, Michael & Vicky, while she held down several jobs, trying to put food on the table and pay the bills. They all lived together. I remember when we would visit, my Aunt Nina would come in from working nights and go to bed on the couch, because she would give up her bed for who ever needed one. I remember her having to ride the bus where ever she needed to go because she never got her driver's license. It was a treat when we would be there because my dad would drive her to work and to the store. She always provided for her children and mom. She always put them before herself. I think if I had to think of one person in my family who sacrificed for their children, it would have to be my Aunt Nina. I can remember when some of my cousins needed clothes or supplies for school, she bought them what they needed. She was a single mom, barely surviving herself, but when she knew of someone in need, she always stepped up and was there. You know the saying "He would give you the shirt off his back"? Well, she actually did give the shirt off her back, many times. I feel so blessed because my Aunt Nina named me when I was born. I have always loved my name, and it made her happy to know that. My Aunt Nina is multi-talented. Her daughter, Vicky, is following in her footsteps. This picture was taken during the week of my dad's funeral last February. My Aunt Nina rode the train to come and stay with my mom for one week. She is on the left side, my sister Diane, me, daughter Steph, brother Randy and mom seated. Everyone says I resemble her more. She brought so much comfort to us during this time. We adore her. She will be making another train trip this spring or summer and I can't wait. Everyone should have an Aunt Nina...I feel so blessed to have her in my life....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post made me tear up! So sweet of you to post this about Aunt Nina. She is so special to us and so true what you said about her! I'm so thankful too that we still have her in our lives! I want her to know that!
Love,
Diane