Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fun Packed Fun Filled Memorial Weekend

I had plans to watch Noah, Carter, Gray and Ivy on Saturday at my house while Steph went to Chicago for a bridesmaid dress fitting and Jeff had a project for work that day.  I also had plans to watch Abby & Jack for a few hours in the afternoon.  All week long I tried to think of how I would entertain the six grand kids and make it a memorable time.  I knew it was going to be HOT outside and water is always a big hit with kids.  So, I set out to the store on Friday during my lunch hour and found the perfect pool that is easy to set up and serves the purpose.  I got 6 noodles, 1 for each grandchild to play with also.  So, Friday night, Mike and I worked in the back yard, to get it grand kid ready.  Saturday morning, bright and early, Mike cranked up the air compressor and inflated the pool and we filled it up so the water would start warming up.  By 8:30 a.m., the 4 grand kids arrived and it was really too cold to swim, so they hung out being entertained by cartoons and after breakfast snacks.  We kept going outside to test the water and by 11:00, we determined that it was warm enough to jump in.  I hooked up our crazy sprinkler to add to the water excitement.  Gray was the first to test the pool, which shocked me, cause he usually doesn't like to get wet.  He was in and playing in no time and then Ivy, Noah & Carter followed shortly.  The noodles were a big hit (in a lot of ways)....and I had to stress that we do not hit in the head or face with them.....
Gray had a ball playing with our dogs, Halle & Lilly.  He was holding Halle and said to me "This is the best day of my Life".  It was a great day for Gray because he usually has an allergic reaction to the dogs, but this day, he was fine.  What a thrill for him to be able to love on them without sneezing and having a stuffy nose. 
Mike went to get pizza to bring back for lunch and by that time, Abby & Jack had arrived.  We all ate lunch and went back out to enjoy the pool.  Ivy wanted me to bring out the Dora kitchen so she could play, by filling up the sink with pool water and making grass soup.  They also enjoyed playing basketball by the pool.  I sat, when I got to sit and really enjoyed the cousins having so much fun in that little pool.  They kept saying it was the most fun at my house EVER!  It was one of the best $39.99 investments....Abby & Ivy ended up wanting to play in the house and dried off and got on their wedding dresses they always play dress up in.  Ivy wore the flower girl dress her mommy wore when she was her age.  They played in my jewelry box and had girl time.  When it was time to go home, they didn't want to leave and that makes me feel good.  Carter wanted to come back over to get in the pool.  Abby ended up staying another few hours so she could have more time to play with her cousins.  We took her home after she swam again. 
Then, Sunday morning, we picked my mom up and met Steph and her family for breakfast at Tate's, our favorite place, then went to the Riverwalk and the kids collected unique rocks to place on my dad's grave, where we would later go visit. 
We put flags on the grave.  It was so touching when Jeff, my other son (in-law), sat on the grass under the shade tree that shaded my dad's grave and he asked each child what they wanted to say to Poppal.  They each had the sweetest message to my dad.  It was a very touching time and day before Memorial Day.  We all had tears to wipe.  It is so moving to me to watch the great-grand kids paying their respect to their great grandfather and remembering the love he had for them.  He left such a lasting impact on their little lives.  Carter read the Army plaque that was on the back of his stone and his eyes got so big when he read that he was a Sargent in the Army.  My dad would have been so proud to have his family visit his stone and pay their respects.  We all parted ways after that.
We took mom home and Mike and I headed to the store to get our Memorial Day cookout food for just us 3.
Abby ended up spending the night with us on Sunday night, which was a treat for us.  We lost power on our block during the night and she woke up upset because her night light wasn't on.  Between that and being kicked periodically during the night, it was very eventful.  I ended up putting a pillow between us, so the pillow got kicked instead of me.  The next morning, Mike suggested going to breakfast at Steak & Shake.  So the 3 of us went and had the best breakfast.  I am a new fan of their breakfast items now.  We let Abby order what she wanted and she chose, an M&M milkshake, hot dog and Fry's.  And she enjoyed it!  I enjoyed the one on one time with her.  We then went across the street to Menard's to flower shop.  She helped me pick out annuals to plant in my pots.  When we got home we planted and sweated so bad, we got our swimsuits on and jumped in the pool afterwards.  Abby thought it was so funny that I would go swim with her.  She decided after a while she wanted to go inside and color and hang out until her daddy picked her up after work.  After she left, I gathered up the food to go cookout at my moms.  By that time it was cooler to crank up the grill.  I made shish-ka-bobs, corn on the cob and my delicious potato salad.  It was just Mike, Mom and I.  Everyone else had their own plans and that was ok.  We were invited to a cookout, but chose to just relax at my moms and be with her.  I really enjoyed my long weekend with everyone and so glad the pool was a big hit...


Adventures In Babywearing said...

Wow you really celebrated every moment! The kids have asked every minute to go back over to your house!


Bacardi Mama said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Aren't we just the luckiest ladies to have such amazing families and grandkids?

Sharon - MomGenerations said...

What a couple of extraordinary days with your beautiful, precious grandkids! What a happy, happy post, Rhonda... and touching, too, with your Dad. He was there all right! xo!