Tuesday, December 1, 2009

25 days til Christmas....Let's talk

I woke up this morning and couldn't believe it is already December 1st. It just doesn't seem like another Christmas is soon approaching. I did decorate my house this past weekend to get a jump on things. As a family, we all talked about giving Less gifts. The question that is asked of me is always "what should I get so and so"? I never know how to respond.
I can't believe my Son, who was always the King of lists of wants for Christmas told me NOT to buy him or my daughter-in-law any gifts because they did not need anything and they realize how tight the economy has been for everyone. They want us to only give to the kids. He made me promise that I would stick to this rule. I DID promise him. The only gift that I want is a framed picture of my kids and grand kids. I guess the older you get, the less you want or need. Pictures mean so much to me.
I am trying to plan activities this month and make memories with my grand kids. I am going to make a gingerbread house with Abby. I already made memories with the boys last year by making one. Next year Ivy and Jack will be old enough to help make one. We also like to go see movies and eat popcorn. We are planning a trip to Chicago for the whole family to go to the museum and see the Christmas trees from around the world.
I really don't want to focus so much on the shopping and wrapping this season. I want to give more of myself and help people in need. I feel the need to visit at the local nursing homes and just give a smile and hug to the lonely.
Let's have a hopeful 25 days of Christmas in spite of the economy. Homemade gifts are great!We have each other, and that's all that matters!

4 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

It's going to be a great month and a great Christmas.

Steph

Lisa said...

That sounds like a good plan. What museum is having all those trees from around the world? I would LOVE to see that.

Bacardi Mama said...

It sounds like a wonderful plan to me. We are also cutting back. I don't have one decoration out yet. Hopefully this weekend.

As We Sail... said...

You are such a good singer I'm sure the Alzheimer unit at Fountainview would love you to come. They are always needing things to keep the patients occupied in the activity/dining room. They love Christmas songs. Steve's mom is there.